CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Memory lane sort of

I have had so many posts that I kept in my head lately. I thought I would take you down memory lane today. This evening Joel and I had dinner with Jennifer Elva and her beloved Tony. I mentioned some unknown super powers I possess. She encouraged me to post a few things.


In 1980, I had a pretty major fascination with Wonder Woman. I think if it were not for the inspiration I would not have won the presidential seal of athletic performance that year. (I WON first place for the fifty yard dash, flexed arm hang, and sit-ups) too bad you can't live off the past forever.

Anyway, I was on the playground, some boys were throwing rocks at me. I. instinctively, lifted my hand and the rocks were deflected off of my wrist. I felt very much empowered, super-powered, maybe even a future wonder woman in training.

Of course this was also the year Roger Moreno asked me to "GO around". The note said, "circle yes or no".
My sweaty hand wanted so badly to say yes. But, I really did not know what that meant. "What did I have to do if I said yes? Is it like getting married or something gross like that?" I slowly circled no. Sigh.

I went home because my corduroys were too tight and my stomach hurt. After my dad picked me up he bought me some fried chicken and I watched cartoons the rest of the afternoon- stomach ache free.

This was also the year, I won the spelling bee, I know Erica and Pam, be jealous. And also wonder how smart the kids were at my school since I am a terminal mispeller.

I wrote a report on the TV show Dallas, I mean who really cared if Sue Ellen was a raging alcoholic and J.R. was having affairs with everyone. It was really good acting. I could figure out how the "Man from Atlantis," got on that show. (If you don't get that one, don't ask).

Anyway. 1980-81 was a good year to be a kid. Except when Reagan was shot.

12 comments:

Pamelotta said...

I remember being on the playground when Reagan was shot. The teachers told us, but I don't remember wanting to stop playing. I didn't know how to feel.

Ahhh, yes. The spelling bee. I made it to our school finals. I remember a buzz outside of the classroom and talk of betting. I guess the pressure got to me. My word - hypothesis. My spelling - h-y-p-o-t-h-e-s-u-s!

Can you spell mor-ti-fied! I hung my head in shame as my classmates squinted their eyes at me in disgust.

And one more. My mom and I watched Knots Landing together every week. Grown-up girl bonding time, I guess.

Agent B said...

1980 was a good year to be a kid. Except when Reagan was shot.

That was in '81.

Maybe you were thinking of Lennon...

trish said...

Thanks for the correction B. I was relying on my memory, which unfortunately wavers. It was the school year 1980-81, so my apologies. It is funny how you process things as a kid.

I think I only started crying, because my teacher started bawling.

Knot's Landing. I couldn't make the transition. I guess, I could only handle one night time soap in my youth. I have still never seen an episode of Sopranos or Sex in the City. Maybe I should see what all the hype is about.

Pamelotta said...

The memories mentioned above weren't limited to the 80-81 school year. They were all throughout the 80's.

Even though I would rather you think that I messed up a word like hypothesis as a nine year old, not a 13 or 14 year old.

Rachel said...

Wonder Woman was my HERO! I had the underwear set with the shirt. I used to run around the house trying to rescue everyone. One time I saw an episode where she rescued someone from a horse or something like that. My sister was on our little bouncy horse (you know, those spring horses). I climbed up on the top bunk and tried to swoop down to rescue her. Didn't turn out very well for her. It threw her off and she planted her face on the wall and kind of slid down the wall. Mom took my wonder woman set away for a few days.

I do remember Dallas, but what I remember is just that my mom watched it. Don't remember much else about it.

Wow! What a trip down memory lane! That was fun!

Francesca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Francesca said...

I was 2-3 years old, so...but I could tell you about the 90's like it was my job!

God's Warrior Bride said...

I am way older than all of you and so jealous that I missed the Wonder Woman underware set and spelling bees with great word like hypothesis. But I do remember my track days (1st in 50 yd dash, 100 yd dash, 440 relay, high jump & broad jump), 1st place in Presidential Fitness, Dallas, Kennedy & Regan being shot and yes, even a boy wanting to "Go" with me! Time goes by, but I guess we all pretty much have experience so of the same things (different decades).

MONICA said...

I, too was a huge wonder woman fan! Those wrist braclets were amazing!... and stylish! Along with the six million dollar man and bionic woman. Those were fun shows too.

Congrats on the fitness award!!!...that's one I would file away also, for any needed esteem boosting. And spelling-bee camp!! Way to go! I still think you are super and glad to be a 30ish cohort.

Unknown said...

OMG OMG OMG....WONDER WOMEN WAS THE SHITTLE. I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE HER WHEN I GROW UP. LOL....
THANKS FOR THE STROLL DOWN MEMEORY LANE. THAT WAS SO FUN.
BUT I DO HAVE TO MENTION HERE THAT I HAD MY 1ST BABY IN 1981. I WAS A VERY YOUNG MOTHER. YES MAM, I WAS 17 WHEN I HAD MY DAUGHTER.
BUT I STILL LOVE THE 80'S.

Anonymous said...

I too had the Wonder Woman Under-oos. Amy and I had matching sets and somewhere is a photo to prove it.
As for the spelling bee: I went to the state level bee in Trenton, NJ in 1988. It was televised. I went with a 102 degree fever and stopped twice on the way there to throw up. In my delirium, I went out in only the fourth round after after spelling the the word "angle" in the following manner: a-n-g-e-l. Why couldn't the word have been "temperature" or "retch" or even "humiliation"?

Lydianna Bradford said...

I was born in 1980 so I don't really have any memories of that time period. I also don't really remember anything about Dallas,or Wonderwoman.

I was in the spelling bee too. Sometime in the early 90s. I was nervous and spelled the word goofy wrong. g-o-u-f-y I knew better, it just came out wrong.