CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Timeless


His unshaven face, weathered
Slumped in the wheelchair
The wind from his sail gone
The clock ticked as the papers rustled in his chart
His wife passed only 18 months ago
He loved her very much you know
He cannot live without her
He dare not drink
He dare not eat
The cancer can ravage his broken body
He is broken
Only half the man he used to be
She was the other half
How do you walk?
How do you talk?
How do you live?
Half a body without love
You can almost see the years of love in his old blue eyes
He turns his head and looks in your eyes
You share the common knowledge of knowing true love
The kind that forgives all things
The kind that bears all things
The kind that joins two as one
How many mornings did they share?
How many nights did they spoon until sleep set?
How many times did he run his fingers on her bare skin?
Young tan skin to weathered covering of the beauty within
I love you
I can't live without you
He turns his head after that one deep look into my eyes
I understand
I have a love too
In youth love is timeless
Timeless is a season
Try to eat a little, okay?
Goodbye now
Call me if you need anything....
He is wheeled down the florescent hall
To the end
May the wind of peace be upon him
As he sails in the face of death



trishtrueblood

8 comments:

Brandi Wilson said...

Oh my goodness Trish! That was one of my favorite things that you've written. My heart just melted as I read it.

trish said...

True story.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

what a beautiful word portrait and telling. This man is honored with it, his love is honored and cherished. I'm sure too that the Lover of our souls also feels that aching loss of being separated to a certain degree from us.

MONICA said...

"Half a body without love..." Uh, what a tender and bittersweet picture. You are gifted to see such things. Beautiful!!

Pamelotta said...

Can't....stop....crying.

Love this one.

Jennifer said...

This was beautiful. Really.

Leanne Stewart said...

can't breathe for the pain/beauty.

Cherryberry said...

Trish,
I think this is on of my favorites, too. You have such a way with seeing things that shines beauty and give presence to so many ordinary daily events.
I love you