CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Rural Time

So part of our program means time in a rurual health facility. I get to sleep in a hospital bed, eat hospital food and go to the ER and see patients as they come in. Sometimes busy, sometimes not. I have really been affected by the teenage pregnancy epidemic in this community. I am going to do a little research on it. Part of it is a poverty culture. They get to have something that belongs to them. It just breaks my heart to see an eleven year old in the ER with her 15, 17 year old cousins that are both having babies- yes more than one. It is not like these are accidents. They are planned pregnancies. ( NOt the eleven year old). I just want to pull her to the side and hold her in her innocence. I just want to tell her it is not okay to have sex right now. Sex is for marriage and it is a sacred and beautiful gift - not to be entered into casually.I want to warn her of the possibilities of things that she could experience. I just want to tell her about hope in Jesus and His plans for her life. About his complete and satisfying love. And then the reality of the next patient being here waiting to be seen, stings my eyes, while the little girl obediantly slips into the car with her PG cousin and her smoking grandmother. The silent sermon swallowed in regret. God please help these babies having babies.

4 comments:

Agent B said...

Tang,

I'm interested to know if your research will show any connection of teenage/unwed pregnancy to a religious culture, not just a poverty culture.

Like alcohol, studies show that alcoholism and its related ills (domestic violence, battered women, etc) are higher in the bible belt and small religious communities. Not necessarily BY church going people, but in a community where the unwritten rule is "it's wrong". Thus, the sin gets forced to the fringes and even rampant in those areas.

You know me...always blaming the church ;)

But seriously, If you do research, please share. I'd like to know.

I heard back in the 80's that Abilene had the highest teen pregnancy rate in the state.

trish said...

Interesting that you would point that out, it did occur to me that there was a large cross- rosary style hanging from her neck and I wondered about the connection there. When I get past all of this required stuff- 4 more weeks of killer, demanding, be here, be there, write this, read that, I will see what connections can be made. Definitely worth sharing.

Leanne Stewart said...

It's their not knowing that is breaking my heart. Lost children having lost children.

So many questions pop into my head. All of them leave me feeling like we're missing it with these kids.

trish said...

I could not help but wonder how many communities in this country- "land of the free, home of the brave"- are exactly like this one: Impoverished with generations recycling the same pains and pressures of the one before it. Yeah it hurts that very few have the guts to stay here and give up their lives to sow into the lives of these little ones. Much respect to secret agents for walking the walk.